Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Day Trip to Orvieto!




Day Trip to Orvieto!

On May 24th, my friends and I took an afternoon trip to Orvieto after class! Orvieto is a city located in southwest Umbria, Italy. The city is located far up on the top of a hill and has incredible views! My friends and I took the train to Orvieto and then took a gondola to get up the large hill to the city! Here is a video that I took on the gondola ride up the hill!





After reaching the top of the hill we found an old fortress called Pozzi di San Patrizio and it had great views! We walked up and took a bunch of pictures! The views were incredible! You could see everything! The fortress overlooked a town and you could see for miles! We also got to the fortress around 5pm so it was a very beautiful time of the day for pictures!  





After explore the views, we walked up the streets of Orvieto heading to the famous Church called Duomo di Orvieto. The church is a huge gothic style cathedral built in the 1300s! We only were able to look at the outside of the church since it was closing soon, but wow it was incredible! 






















After taking pictures at the church we walked around the streets made some friends with some other tourists from the US. We found a yummy place to eat dinner and then had to head back to the train station to make sure we got home in time for class the next day! I wish we would have had a little while longer to explore this beautiful city, but I am glad we got to visit even if it was just for a little while! If we ever come back to Orvieto I would like to do the following! 
Explore Orvieto underground! 
I would like to take a tour of the vineyard Decugnano dei Barbi and take a cooking class!
I would like to visit the Museo delle Maioliche Medievali e Rinascimentali Orietane! 






No comments:

Post a Comment